Online math games are a great teaching tool for kids. Math is important. So is a kid’s motivation to learn math. Do you need sites offering free online math games for free? Kids want to play cool online math games. I know the feeling. If your kids are like mine they balk at anything academic. Especially when it comes to math, they want cool games, fun games. And as a parent you want online math games that are also educational too. I decided to put together a list of websites that offer fun math games to play.
My guys are into numbers lately. My eldest, especially, is big into number crunching and playing with the calculator. He spends a lot of time on, well, time.
Just last week I had a funny “aha” moment when his brother asked to play Star Wars Legos with him first thing in the morning. He said, “Well actually I need fifteen minutes to eat my cereal and stuff.”
His brother, not quite four, innocently inquired, “Well how long is that?”
Little math man responded by saying, “Well, it is 15 times 60. You know, 900 seconds.”
I was dumbfounded, then I ran to check to see if he was right. I knew that my brother-in-law had given him a calculator to play with over the summer, but I had no idea that he was sooo into math. When I asked him about it he told me, flat out, that he wanted to go to a school that taught only math and soccer. So, I decided to check out some good websites with cool online math games for kids that are also free. Since my guy seems like he is a budding mathematician, I wanted sites that included online math games for K through 8. We wanted stuff that he would really get into and seemed like a lot of fun. I also wanted online math games that were a small bit technical too, to challenge him.
Our criteria: We steered away from any free online math games that looked too academic or boring. We picked sites that had a bit of pizazz but were also easy to navigate and functional.
Top 10 Free Sources for Cool Online Math Games for Kids:
1. FACT MONSTER This site is developed for elementary and middle school level kids and includes online math games that identify types of angles, or review math facts, fractions, metric conversions, and more. Fact Monster even has a handy Conversion Calculator for the homeschooling family or at home tutor to use. Want extras? Learn how coins are made or check out the names of currencies all over the world. Not enough? How about playing a free online math game that teaches your child the Pythagorean Theorem?
2. MATH PLAYGROUND This site is developed for elementary and middle school level kids and includes these online math games: a unique Stay Sharp Arcade that offers multiplayer online math facts games, Sudoku puzzles, word problems, math puzzles for kids, and a hub listing of very cool free online math lesson videos. A nice addition to the online math games, the videos are very handy for a homeschooling family or an at home tutor. Need to do a timed math facts game with automatic flash cards? Look no further. They also have a special “Build your Own Worksheets” section for the homeschooling family or at home tutor with preschoolers to fifth graders. Worksheets cover skills like telling time, arithmetic, money, and times tables.
3. COOL MATH 4 KIDS and COOL MATH GAMES These sites are the most popular online math games websites in the U.S. They offer strategy games like Big Blocks Battle, logic games, games to practice memory, numbers, and they even have a section of math games for preschoolers, too. Like TowerBloxx on your iPhone? How about a free version of this similar game called Tower Snorzees? This website is home to the all too popular Castle Defense game. Although my son loves it, this game does not teach much along the way of math skills other than strategically placing cannons on a maze in order to protect the castle. But it is popular with kids and can be used as a reward for hard work on other games within the website. This online math games site breaks down activities, lessons, and games by subject matter, and is easy to navigate. Want to teach your kids lattice multiplication? Check out their online Lattice Multiplication tutorial. Lessons are for kids ages 3 to 100 and they include fun quizzes and animated “Brain Benders” games of logic like Wolf, Sheep, and Cabbage, or Eight Queens that are sure to get you thinking.
Do you think you are a math genius? Well, take the test!
4. CTK MATH GAMES FOR KIDS This site has over 900 Java applets. It is a great resource. Much of the content is for kids learning some serious concepts, but there are many for kids that are beginners as well. One such game that my guy likes is Wolf and Rabbit. It is a good arithmetic agility test. You better be fast or the rabbit gets eaten. At CTK Math there are plenty of online math games for kids. You can create and print out mazzes, work with barcodes, exercise your memory, and play with coins, learn some chess, just to name a few. And when you need to relax, they have games for that too!
5. MATH PLAY This online math games site is for ages 6-12. This website offers Soccer Math games, Money Games, Math Jeopardy Games, and Algebra and Geometry Games too. Do you like watching “Who wants to be a Millionaire” on T.V.? Then play their free online math games version called, “Factors Millionaire Game.” If you’d rather play Jeopardy, then visit their “Factors and Multiples Jeopardy” game. Visitors can find online math games according to grade level or interest, which makes finding the right game pretty convenient for the homeschooling family or at home tutor. So if you have a sports loving kid in your house there may be a game or two here to check out.
6. GOGO MATH This GoGo Math Games website is part of the Primary Games company. Play unique online math games. Try money games, integer games like Think (pictured at left) and Math 101. Star Math even has simulation games, also called CTS style games, like: Split Stocks, Lemonade Stand, and Ashtons Family Resort. Looking for something unique? How about playing Mahjong Math? Want something totally out there? How about adding a little music to your math by playing Rhythmix Calculix, a totally cool online math game for kids!
7. DR. MIKE’S MATH GAMES This site offers online math games that expose kids to facts in a fun way. It’s managed by mathematician Dr. Mike Hartley of Australia. Love math? You will love this site. It provides rote learning without boredom and immersion in a mathematical concepts like: shape, color, subtraction, and even Magic Squares. Dr. Mike’s Math Games are broken down by age and ability and navigate by topic. He offers kindergarten through seventh grade math games. Dr. Mike even has his own list of cool math games, too! Tired of gaming? Dr. Mike offers software that allows kids to design and make their own paper polyhedras, too.
8. THE MATH GAMES If fractions, integers, and decimals are your thing, then check out this cool math games website. Need decimals practice? Try Decimals in Space. At The Math Games visitors will play simple, focused, and free games to enhance their math skills. There are about 14 games featured on the home page. Developers offer Facebook and Twitter updates for subscribers every time a new game is added to the site. They also provide links to an online triangle calculator, online scientific calculator, and a graphing calculators. Need to learn how to recognize like terms in math? There’s a game for that too.
9. FUN BRAIN MATH The Fun Brain website has over 100 educational games in math, reading, and literacy. Fun Brain has a portal page for math games. From this page visitors can choose their experience based on their ability level in math. Fun Brain will then take visitors to their main page where they can choose games at their target level, like: Math Baseball for 4th Graders. Games like the Soccer Shootout help boys and girls practice addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and fraction problems at their target ability level. Check out their customizable Tic Tac Toe Squares, too. Need to practice square roots? No problem. Tic Tac Toe Squares will do that too!
10. KIDS NUMBERS This site is geared toward elementary school aged kids in grades kindergarten through eighth. It is designed by teachers, and is geared toward students at a variety of ability levels. students can practice addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, Telling Time by hour- by minute – and with digital time too, money, fractions, geometry, and algebra in a fun and pressure free way. The site also offers a Worksheet Generator for teachers, at home tutors, and homeschooling families.
Update on List of Free Math Games for Kids:
Check out Math Chimp for more free cool online math games for kids. They are always free and are aligned with common core standards.